Wednesday, January 11, 2017

It's Time (Pre-Germany)

Today's the day. The sun is shinning and it is currently 70 degrees Fahrenheit in Texas. I am t-minus 4 hours before I jump on a plane to Germany. Right now, my stress levels are sky rocketing and I'm second guessing whether or not I've packed everything. I've realized that I have yet again procrastinated and now am paying the price. Will I ever learn? Someday hopefully.

As far as my nerves are concerned, they have been my constant companion since about 7 o'clock last night. I've traveled abroad a couple times before but never longer than two and half weeks. I would have to say, my biggest fear would probably be the uncertainty of it all. I don't know the language, I don't know all of the cultural customs, I don't know how to get around, I will be completely/mostly on my own for five months in a country that I am not familiar with. What an adventure this will be.

Also, if I'm being completely honest, I keep forgetting that there is a school aspect to this journey. My brain is still hibernating from this, not long enough, Christmas Break, and it thinks I am going on an extended vacation, but then I look into my backpack and see all of my school supplies and remember. I am going to Germany to STUDY, and experience a whole new world.

I can't wait for what is in store for me and I'm extremely excited to be able to experience this once in a lifetime opportunity. I keep wondering what my homestay family will be like and what our university will be like as well. So many questions are wondering through my head and they will all be answered in less than 24 hours.

My goals for another semester as a biomedical engineer include, staying on top of grades, learning how to better time manage (I'm pretty sure this will forever be my arch nemesis), opening my mind to new possibilities, become more comfortable with the unknown, try to speak the language and don't feel to embarrassed if I can't get it right, don't be afraid to try new things, become more independent, make new friends, and most importantly, master the art of balancing school and free time!

I'm both ecstatic and nervous for the road that lies ahead, and I can't be more grateful for the experience I'm about to embark on.


Pre-Germany Photo with part of my winter gear on. It's quite hot considering the weather in Texas is about 50 degrees warmer than Germany at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment