Wednesday, January 18, 2017

First Week

It's been sort of a whirlwind since we arrived in Germany on Thursday. It definitely feels like I've been here for much longer than a week. Bonn is beautiful, cold, and wet. I'm so impressed with their public transportation system! They have trains, trams, a subway, and buses, all for a city of around 300,000 people. Despite the ease of access to transportation, my roommate Sarahi and I managed to get extremely lost for an hour in the snow on our first night here. Luckily, we found Amran (another student in our program) on a random bus. He had been lost for an hour too but now knew where he was going. He took us back to his house and his host mom was nice enough to drive us home in the snow.  Now that I've gotten more used to getting around Bonn, I've been able to see some cool things around town, like the Godesburg Castle and a bar that Beethoven supposedly used to visit. One thing that I didn't think about much when I was planning to go to Germany was my host family. I figured it would be a nice couple who I'd see for dinner and make small talk with now and then. Turns out our host family has three kids around the ages of me and my siblings. They speak three languages and are very interesting to be around! The 17 year old brother just knocked on my door and offered me some cookies from Subway- it sort of made my night.

As far as school goes, I really appreciate the small class sizes and the more personal nature of our curriculum. I enjoyed German class with Hilde and I think Dr. Wasser will be one of the most engaging and charismatic professors I've had. Today I had pharmacology class with Dr. Fajt- she was very knowledgeable and seemed interested in giving us a good experience, which I really appreciated. As of now, I'm still adjusting to all of the amazing things that are going on in Bonn. I do miss my family a little, but I know that soon I'll make my own family with the other students in the program and my super cool host family. I already am!

No comments:

Post a Comment