Sunday, January 26, 2020

Bonn Week 2

This week already felt much more like a normal routine; it doesn’t feel like I’m living in a foreign country anymore, except when my knowledge of German runs out and I have to ask people if they speak English (it doesn’t take very long but it’s better than it was in Texas?). It's really cool to see how quickly we're all getting closer to each other, and it feels like the whole "early friendship" phase is accelerated here, especially with Bri and Enrique. Going to Cologne this week was amazing despite the weather; that might be the coldest I've ever been, but it was so beautiful that I almost didn't mind. The cathedral is the best I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a few Gothic cathedrals in Europe; I absolutely cannot believe how massive it is, especially considering the technology and knowledge available during the time when it was built. I stayed after the official end of the program trip with Dany, Cody, Bri, and Enrique; we went to a restaurant that we quickly realized we didn’t want to eat at (but we did want to drink at), then found an unlimited Italian buffet for 8€ which was SUPER good. Cici’s has never, could never. We accidentally got on the wrong train because we didn't really understand the system, so that was an unnecessary $15 mistake, but it's better to happen between Cologne and Bonn than it would be on a longer train ride, and at least we figured out which trains to not get on sooner rather than later. That being said, Enrique losing his wallet is pretty rough, so hopefully he'll be able to figure that out soon. Finding out that Kobe died was a weird moment because, even though I'm not a big sports person, it was pretty jarring to realize that real things are still happening in the US while we aren't there (not to make a tragedy about myself).
I love the group a lot, and I think we all get along pretty well. I'm definitely having a lot of fun here, especially because classes aren't difficult yet so it still feels pretty much like a vacation. I obviously didn't know exactly what living in Europe would be like, but I don't think I could've made a better decision for myself.






No comments:

Post a Comment