Tuesday, January 21, 2020

1 week into Germany

Hallo!
I've officially been in Germany for a little over a week. I can already say I love it here. I love Bonn, because it is the perfect size. It is big enough to give me a big city feel with public transport and a new discovery at every corner, while also not being too overwhelming. If I get lost, 5 minutes later I will end up back on a street I know. The public transport system is easy to get a hold of, and as cheesy as it sounds, I feel so independent doing all of this on my own. I absolutely love my host family, and it amazes me how much of a perfect match we are. I already feel so comfortable with them, as if they truly are my family. We spend every night together at dinner, and a 30 minute meal usually turns into a 2 hour conversation. They are open, accepting, and very patient with helping me learn German. I have already learned so much more in just a week of being here, thanks especially to my host family and German tutor. Class wise, I already love my coursework. I love history and I love medicine, so the History of Medicine is very interesting to me. Dr. Wasser and the rest of the faculty make this program to where you are learning adequately while also having time to see the world and do everything you want to do. Speaking of seeing the world, we have already toured 2 cities, Aachen and the small town with the beautiful wine vineyard. The wine was delicious, and informative about the agriculture in the Rhineland. Aachen was fascinating, learning about Charlemagne and his significance in Germany and the local area. Did you know they estimate a vast majority of the European population are all somehow descended from this man? His bones are in his tomb at the Cathedral and scattered among his priced possessions. Apart from excursions, exploring Bonn has been a great experience. The food is great: Doner's (kabob with bread), Schnitzel, pasta, everything. I even found a German version of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. The beer is excellent and cheap, an American college student's dream. That's about it for now, pictures to come on the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment