Sunday, January 31, 2016

Wochenende Nummer Zwei (...plus some)

When the scheduled events end, the adventure begins.  After the day’s events in Aachen and a few words on safety, the bus took us to the train station, we hopped off, and that was it.  Navigate Europe for the weekend, by yourselves, wherever you decided to go.  And for my group, this destination was Brussels, Belgium—home of Belgium waffles, chocolate, and frites (and something starting with “b” and very akin to the German word for four…shhhhh, you didn't hear it from me).  We waited for our train, playing frisbee and eating dinner in the meantime, and after a mere one hour ride, we were in a whole new country.  Between repeatedly declaring in astonishment  “Guys, we’re in Belgium”—we figured out our way to the hostel. 

Betcha can’t guess what we had for breakfast in the morning, can you?   Hmmm??  Yeah no, we definitely ate waffles (essentially dessert).  No regrets here: mine came with ice cream.  With happy tummies, we went on a three hour walking tour of the city and, logically, the extensive walking provided superb justication for more food...shortly followed by dinner…shortly followed by more yummy treats.  But after further walking and playing tag in a Brussels’ city square, I’d say it was all well worth it. 

On the note of playing tag in the center of the capital of Europe, remember the group I travelled with to Dusseldorf and the “debatably childish” pictures?  It may not surprise you that the same exact seven individuals ended up traveling together for two weekends.  I wouldn’t have had it any other way.  These people are a joy to travel with: they see each opportunity as a chance to discover, don’t complain even at the slightest inconveniences, and like to laugh until they cry.  The next morning several of us went to a primarily French-speaking church, being that Brussels is a quadrilingual town of French, Dutch, German, and English—where I had the joy of worshiping with other Christians in French and where women sat behind us to translate the service.  All in all, it was a grand trip. 

The pace during last school week picked up slightly, though still being perfectly manageable despite a LOT of trip planning, trip to Cologne in which we toured the roof of the cathedral, and pastry runs.  I have tried almost every pastry at the main bakery, called Voigt (similar to Dunkin Donuts but so much more leicher J ) so I no longer have an excuse for FPC (frequent pastry consumption)…time to slow down. 

My host family is doing well and I know I am so very blessed to have been placed with them.  They have a beautiful home, built in the 1850’s, so close to the Rhine that I can easily run to and along the river in the mornings, and they treat more like one of the family every day.  My host dad had a birthday party just last night and they continue to impress me with how generous, welcoming, and elegant they are.  I enjoy that we can sit in the kitchen and learn each others language, that the boys feel comfortable enough to play tricks on me, and that I can tease all of them about accidently and frequently calling me Anna (the name of the their last two host girls, with a third named Anne oddly enough).  

Until next time!  Tschüß.

No comments:

Post a Comment