Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Pre-Flight Thoughts

I'm currently writing this during my layover in Charlotte, NC about 30 minutes before boarding time. So clearly my new year's resolution of improving my time management hasn't been effective, as I was also still rushing to finish packing this morning. I did manage to get my checked-in luggage right at 50 lbs though, which was great but also not so good for my carry-on duffle bag and backpack, which now feel like they're about 20 lbs each.

Honestly, studying abroad didn't seem real to me until I got to the airport in Houston this morning and was hugging and saying goodbye to my parents, sister, and brother. As today got closer and closer, when people would ask me how I felt about leaving home and living in a different country for 4 months, I would just say that I was so excited because there aren't enough words to describe all the emotions I'm feeling. I've always dreamt of studying abroad ever since I knew that that was something you could do in college, but I always put it off because I knew how expensive it would be. But ultimately I am so, so grateful to my parents for letting me have this opportunity.

I go back and forth between feeling completely overwhelmed and unprepared for this experience and feeling super excited. I've never been away from my family for a long period of time, let alone in a country I've never been to before. I think I'm the most nervous about meeting my host family and not being able to communicate with them. But at the same time, I'm excited for this experience to push me out of my comfort zone, to be immersed in a new culture, to learn the language (or at least try my best), to eat new foods, and to meet new people. Also even though I want to truly explore and get to know Bonn, I do plan on traveling to other countries as much as I can too! Overall, I can't wait to see what this experience has to offer and where it takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment