Monday, January 25, 2016

So Far, All is Gut!



When I first arrived Germany I felt like I started my whole life over. I didn’t know much of anything, I could barely read and communicate. But I have learned! What a concept for “study” abroad. Learning.

The first week was difficult. Like I said I couldn’t read the signs or anything and I couldn’t even tell people that I was lost and clueless. Now, I feel like I have finally mastered some things. For example, I now mostly know when the buses arrive and which bus to take to be on time. This was actually a huge problem my first day. My bus was running very late and I missed the meeting point. Thankfully my host mom was with me and took me to where I needed to be. I also, kind of know sort of where I am in the city. I’m still not very certain at times. Also, I have found that reading signs usually helps when I’m trying to get places.

I’ve also picked up a few German words and I really mean a few. Erdbeere is strawberry, Brot is bread, and Berliner is a wonderfully delicious jelly donut. I realize my vocabulary mostly relates to food, because the food here is so amazing! It seems that everything tastes better here. An amazing thing about Germany is that food is always nearby. Literally, wherever you are in Germany you are probably a short walk away from food, usually a bakery. (Note: I wrote this before I had dinner)

I feel like my adventure here has just started and I don’t want it to end. Even though, I will be honest, the first night I did cry for my mom, but food made it better. Despite my love of food, I feel like I have actually lost some weight, mostly because I have to walk, a lot. My feet have never hurt so badly! I normally don’t really mind walking but after a long day, sitting down is an amazing feeling.

So far I’ve survived Germany. Soon I will find out if I can survive my classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment