Monday, January 11, 2016

Next Stop...Germany!

I’m currently staring at the massive pile of clothes sitting on my bed that I have yet to pack. Tomorrow is my last full day in Texas before I embark on the experience I have dreamt of for quite some time. It really only hit me a few hours ago that I am leaving “home” for almost five months. The nerves have set in, and I am stressing. I’m stressed that I only have one more day to be with my family. I’m stressed that I only have one more day to cuddle my two dogs. I’m stressed that I have barely begun the odyssey of packing my suitcases. But amidst all the stress, my excitement for this trip has set in as well.

I’m excited to experience a real winter again, one with cold weather. The ample amount of sweaters, hats, and scarves I received for Christmas will surely be put to good use. I’m excited to live in such a beautiful country. Germany is incredibly beautiful. The nature is refreshing; the towns are picturesque; the culture is lively. I am undoubtedly excited for the food. My mom has been raving about the endless amount of fresh bread. All I can say is bring on the carbs! I’m excited to spend the next semester with a group of truly awesome people and live with such a giving host family. I can’t wait to get to know everyone better and experience studying abroad together. Before I leave, however, I wanted to say a few words to some important people in my life…

To my parents, I love you. I cannot express to you what you both mean to me. I am so appreciative of everything you have done for me. Thank you for all the laughter and fun times, all the teaching moments, and all the love. Thank you for allowing me to go to Germany and have this opportunity. You guys rock.

To my little sisters, I will miss you. Hard to believe, right? No matter how annoying the two of you can be, I will miss you. Thank you for all the sarcasm, sarcasm, and more sarcasm. You guys are fun sometimes.

To my friends I’m leaving behind, be prepared for an excessive amount of stories when I come back. Five months is a long time, and I’m still not quite sure how I’m going to last that long without you all. Thanks for always being there. I will miss all of you as well.

To my two dogs, I freaking love you guys. I’m expecting a huge welcome when I come back.

Finally, to myself, I hope you have the time of your life. I hope you travel to as many places as you can. I hope you meet lots of new friends. I hope you learn to speak German and learn about German culture. I hope you try new things. I hope you come back a better person.

See you soon… or should I say bis bald.

Lots of love,

Ashley  

No comments:

Post a Comment