Thursday, January 7, 2016

T-minus 6 days until GERMANY!!!

With our Germany adventure being less than a week away my emotions are running wild, to say the least. What are the things I'm feeling? Fear, sadness, curiosity, frustration, and mostly excitement.

Fear:
You're six days away from being in Germany and embarking on one of the most life changing experiences you'll ever have, so why fear? In the orientation we sat in a few weeks ago, the study abroad advisor talked about how we would go through highs and lows of emotions in the weeks leading up to leaving. I've found this to be most definitely true. At times I'm overwhelmed with excitement, other times I'm fearful of leaving my family, friends, and loved ones for so long. Sometimes it is hard to fully take in the excitement when you're around the people you love so dearly and know you won't see them for up to 8 months. Aside from the fear of leaving my family, I'm also experiencing some fear of the situation in Europe. While I know that Dr. Wasser and the entire study abroad team is doing everything they can to ensure our safety, after hearing about some of the recent events in Germany, so close to where we will be, one can't help but be a little anxious. However, I am consoled in the fact that I am traveling with a great group of friends and Aggies, and I know we will all look out for one another.

Sadness:
Okay, so this one kind of goes back to leaving my friends, boyfriend (yes, I know its super cliche), and most of all family. About a month ago I said goodbye to some of my closest friends, who have gone through the ups and downs of college with me, for 8 months, thats a really long time people. I only cried twice though, so that was good. Soon, I will say goodbye to bae, which of course is not going to be fun either. Lastly, I have to say goodbye to my family for 4 months and realize that I will not be spending holidays with them for the first time and be 12 hours away should anything happen, a very scary thought for me. Even though I am sad about leaving all of these wonderful people, I know it will be a great experience to be on my own and grow, make new friends, and challenge myself.

Curiosity:
I recently went to a German Bakery in my hometown and realized that I didn't like 70% of German food.....needless to say, I am certainly curious how this trip will go. I also realized that even though sauerkraut isn't my favorite, that's the point. The point of study abroad is to expose yourself to new cultures and push your boundaries. I am curious to find out the other special pieces of culture and history and also to find out what other boundaries I will force myself to break through this experience.

Frustration:
Okay, this one is super simple and frivolous. As a girl who LOVES shoes, it is super frustrating trying to pack for four months in one suitcase. Like I'm actually dying and I think I'm going to have separation anxiety from my shoes to be honest. I think I've figured out how to combat my frustration packing though: SHOPPING!!! Who doesn't love European clothes right?!

EXCITEMENT:
So yeah, I'M SO PUMPED because I get to live in Germany for four months, travel Europe, and have a once in a lifetime experience. I know this experience is certainly going to be an adventure and I really hope to see myself grow in so many different ways through it. Let the countdown begin......

No comments:

Post a Comment