Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Thanks for the mems, Amsterdam!

{Amster}dam it was fun
      This past weekend a group of eight of us traveled to Amsterdam for our first big trip since we have been in Germany, and let me tell you... It is a whole different world over there. The entire town smells like weed... It is insane. Aside from the smell, the town was beautiful. It seemed like every street ran along a canal. The streets were lined with amazing little houses with so much character. While in Amsterdam, we went to see the Anne Frank House, the Van Gogh Museum, Red Light District and an Ice Bar. Let me go through each place and talk a little about what we saw.

The Anne Frank House: Seeing this house was a very humbling experience. The thought of living with seven other people in that tiny apartment in constant fear of being found is so sad... I cannot even imagine how they felt. I feel lucky to have gotten to read the words of Anne Frank and see her actual diary. I left the house feeling thankful for the life I live and the freedom I have.

The Van Gogh Museum: I am not a big art person, but I enjoyed this museum! It was interesting to see his works in person rather than a photo copy of them. I think I enjoyed learning about his life even more than I enjoyed his paintings! Van Gogh was a very interesting and talented man thats for sure!

The Red Light District: If you had asked me a week ago, I would have told you that you would never catch me on Red Light District... And that would've been a lie, because I was drug there Saturday night. I have got to admit, it is kind of saddening knowing that those women sell themselves. Overall the experience made me kind of sad and I don't think I will be going back any time soon!

The Ice Bar: This place was super cool! (no pun intended) We got to put on big coats and go into a bar made of ice... It was -9.4 degrees Celsius and I dang near lost my finger tips, but it was worth it. 

      Over all I think my favorite part of the trip was just getting to know everyone better! There are some truly awesome people on this trip and I cannot wait to spend the rest of the semester with them. Until next time blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment