Friday, January 22, 2016

Alles Ist Gut

Well, it has been about 10 days since I left for Germany, although it feels like I’ve been here for about a month. This was probably because of the LONG first few days. That first weekend, though, was probably some of the most fun I have had. First, we toured the beautiful city of Bonn. I am in love with all of the architecture, especially the Victorian influences. We saw City Hall (or Stadthaus I should say), a gigantic Haribo store, and some of the university buildings…among many other things. The next day we went to the Ahr Valley and toured a winery in Mayschoss. The hike, albeit chilly, was absolutely breathtaking…literally and figuratively. The wine tasting afterwards was just as fun. The following day was filled with another hike, this time to a beautiful church atop a mountain. At the top, I tried Gluehwein, hot wine, for the first time. It had an interesting taste to say the least. That night we celebrated Kendal’s 20th birthday with dinner at an Italian restaurant and an intense dance session at club Untergrund. I think my phone tracked almost 20,000 steps that day. The next week school started…almost forgot about the study part of study abroad. I’m excited for all of my classes this semester; they all seem really interesting. Earlier this week was a visit to the Post-War German History Museum. It was definitely neat to walk through Germany’s modern history. Today we toured the city of Aachen. Aachen is famous for its grand cathedral. This church was massive. The inside was just as remarkable. There were intricate mosaic patterns, stained glass windows, and marble throughout. Supposedly, parts of King Charlemagne are in a shrine within the church.

Wow, that was a lot of recounting. I guess I’m just having too much fun. I honestly have no complaints. My host mom is awesome (and so is her cooking). My German is getting a little better. I was able to buy a coffee without speaking English! The chocolate and pastries are endless, and I haven’t gained weight because of all of the walking! Tomorrow I’m headed to Amsterdam with a smaller group in the program.


Alles ist gut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment