Monday, January 18, 2016

The Jet Lag is strong

Blog-Nummer Zwei

      Well I have officially been in Bonn for five days now, and I have experienced just about every emotion possible. After landing in Germany, I was excited.. Very excited. But as I lay in bed that very first night, I started to get homesick. I tried to sleep but couldn't, because my body still thought it was supposed to be day time. The next morning I got up hoping the homesickness (or should I say heimweh) would be gone... But it wasn't. It is now Monday the 18th and I still feel homesick, but the feeling is no longer so strong that I want nothing more than to go home. Today I walked through the town and semi knew where I was going. I paid for things in euros quicker and responded "Danke" more naturally. Today I felt semi comfortable. I guess you could say that I skipped over the "honeymoon phase" that most students encounter and went straight to the fear, but that is ok. It is ok that I am scared and that I miss my family. It just takes time to become comfortable and at home in a new place. I think with a little more time, I will feel as through Bonn is my home. 
      On a brighter note, today I received a surprise gift: flowers. My host mother brought a box to me this evening and upon opening it, I found a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a note. My best friend from back home had them shipped to me to wish me a good first day of class in Germany. It was so unexpected and I was so thankful. It is the little things that make you realize just how lucky you are. As much as I would like to recap everything that has happened in the past few days, I have to read for phys so I will give list... Here we go:
-hiking
-tours
-hiking
-drinking wine
-singing in German
-practicing German in bed at night
-getting lost
-hiking
-walking 20,000+ steps per day
-eating pastries and a ton of bread (not ashamed)
-facetiming my family 
-shin splints
-going to Der Untergrund and being "typical Americans"
      I think that about sums up my week... I am thankful for this experience and I am excited for the adventures to come. I just have to keep my head up and my German-English dictionary in hand. Auf Wiedersehen baby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment