Monday, January 25, 2016

Living the life of the Bonners

So I have currently been living in Bonn, Germany for about two weeks now. I have for the most part, mastered the bus system. This is very nice because that is how I get from home to school, and the city to home again. I have overcome my fears of traveling around the city by myself, especially at night. I have come to find out that Bonn is a very safe, and friendly place to live. The people are all very nice and helpful for the most part. 

I got to take my first train this weekend, while traveling to Amsterdam. It wasn't as pleasant as my bus rides have been though. After boarding our first train at the Bonn central station, we reached the Cologne central station. As we ran to our next train because we had approximately 4 minutes to get from one platform to the other, we come up the final stairs to turn a corner and touch our train as it leaves. We then go down to the information desk to find out that there is another train that we can catch, but it comes about 2 hours later. So we then sit and wait. When the train finally gets there, we get on, and ride to our final destination, Amsterdam. We leave the train station, having know idea of where we are headed. We are definitely the "typical tourists" with our maps out as we walk through this very crazy and packed city. After being 'almost' hit by not one, but multiple bikes and trams, we finally make our way to the Anne Frank museum. This had to be the most interesting place that I have ever been, and that says a lot because I have no been twice! I think I probably liked it even more the second time than I did the first. We then headed to our hotel which was about a 25-30 minutes walk out of the city center. We get there, check in, and head to our rooms to relax our feet. We then headed to dinner, and then to see where the night led us. This isn't even the most interesting part. Sunday as we get ready to leave, we head to the train station to see if there is any way that we could catch an earlier train. We find out that we can take a train two hours earlier than our original. We board the train, then make our first change about an hour later in Eindhoven. We then make our way from this platform to the next. After leaving Eindhoven we make our second switch in Venlo. We move platforms then board our next to Dusseldorf. When we reach Dusseldorf, we run to the ticket machines to see if there is any earlier train that we can catch. We find one that leaves in approximately 10 minutes. So instead of waiting two hours for our next train, we buy a ticket, and run to the next platform and board the train. When we are reaching Cologne central station, the ticket man tells us that this is the final stop for this train. With so much confusion we run to the information desk, and they tell us to run and get on the next train at platform 7 that leaves in 5 minutes. We run through the station to the platform and board the train. We then ride peacefully to Bonn central station. I then head to my bus stop to catch my bus, and finally make it home around 21:30. After taking 6 trains this weekend, I have decided that I am going to stay in Bonn this next weekend. I am "trained out"! 

Classes are going great so far! Physiology is really interesting, and the project seems like it is going to be pretty neat. The guys at enmodes really informed us on a lot about the project when we went to Aachen Friday. Everything seems to be very manageable for now, hopefully it stays that way. My German is coming along actually. I'm not saying I'm going to be fluent by the time I leave, but I think I'll at least have the gist of it. 

Everyone is very nice, and I've already made some pretty good friends. These next four months are going to fly by, and honestly that's both sad and relieving. All the fears that I had before I left for Germany have now faded, and excitement is all that is left! I can't wait to see what else there is to do in this next months. Well, Tschüss für heute!!

No comments:

Post a Comment