Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Living Amongst the Bonners

So I've now been away from home for a week now and it still doesn't feel like I'm here to study, yet alone be gone for an entire semester. My host family is not what I expected but I've learned to like them. My host mother tries to talk to Rahil and I the most while our host dad sits there and tends to do the translating for her. Most of our conversations involve our host mother talking to us, her messing up on a word, our host dad correcting her in German frankly, and then him finishing her sentence. I've only met one of the three kids since they are all off studying. Bonn is a very interesting place. Since I've never been abroad, I really had no idea what to expect. The doner sandwiches are basically what I've lived off since I've been here. There good but its awkward to order something in english and have them not know what you are saying. I've been to the Galeria twice now to order chocolate from a German lady who doesn't speak english. I've decided that I'm going to be a regular and learn more and more German each time I go in there in order to hold conversations with her. I'm not exactly sure how these classes are going to go now that I've enrolled in them and today is the first day of class. It still seems like I'm on vacation and I want to keep taking hikes and exploring Bonn. This past Sunday was very boring though. Since the whole country basically shuts down, Rahil and I played chess for about 4 hours. I'm excited to see how the rest of the semester turns out now that I'm starting to get in a groove. The only thing I can complain about so far is how far away my bus is from the AIB. I have to leave my house at least an hour ahead of time just to make sure I show up on time.

That's all for now. Catch ya on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment