Friday, January 8, 2016

Next Chapter to My Book

I believe that you really don't get to experience the choices you make until they are laid out in front of you, and you have nowhere else to go. I never once thought I would ever study abroad or much less live somewhere else for five months. Learning about the trip on paper or in orientation sparks a much different feeling then saying goodbye to all your family and friends for 5 months, in going to an unknown environment.

In saying all of this, I would not trade this experience for anything. I like to believe that I am a person who adapts well to unknown environments and can make the most of everything. Saying goodbye to friends and family is and was rough. When you deep down begin to think about the length and location of the trip, you realize that you are going to a place where Americans are not always welcomed and you are no longer only a few hours away if something is to happen but 15. My biggest fear or sadness comes from the possibility of missing out on so much while I am away, but I try to counter this with the new possibilities I will be given. Europe is a dream of many Americans and in the end, at the end of the 5 months, I know I will not have wanted it no other way.

I can not lie and say that I am not at all worried, nervous, scared, and sad. However
I am ready and excited to embrace all of the fun and crazy aspects of not only the German, but the whole European culture. Knowing very little about my host family except that they have 3 sporty kids and that I am not their first host child, leaves a lot of room for imagination as well. Being a very laid back person, I am very excited to see how the first couple weeks will go for my host family as well as for me living there. I have no doubt in my mind that the group of people I will be traveling with will grow as a family and be there for each other.

I can not wait to step onto my plane in Dallas and know that the next time I get off of it I will be in Germany. I am ready to go even further out of my comfort zone and allow for this once in a life time opportunity to be a once in a lifetime experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment