Thursday, January 21, 2016

Only the Beginning

It's been eight days since I've moved in with my new family here in Bonn. And I can't express how generous, helpful, and welcoming they have been towards me. It truly has been very nice. Sitting here thinking about what to write, or what's the most important thing to write about, I've realized I've done a heck of a lot of stuff in the past eight days!
 I'm becoming a public transportation master while memorizing what minute the bus and train are supposed to arrive on. I'm also picking up on some German. I'd say I'm doing much better at understanding than speaking. My host family has really pushed the German language on me and I continue to learn so much every day. My host mom actually said that out of all of her previous students, I seem to be the most interested in learning the language. I think she enjoys teaching me and trying to get me to engage in German dinner table conversation.
I must also say, I'm not afraid to eat every piece of brot (bread) someone offers me here because I will walk it all off, kein problem (no problem)! Germans do a lot of walking.
Now that classes have started, things are starting to feel a little more normal. Not that there is any set routine, but it's starting to feel like I somewhat belong. It seems as if I packed up all my stuff, moved to Germany, and started a new life. I suppose I basically did, but right now it doesn't feel like there is an end to my time here, even though there is.
Besides that, I am very excited to work on this project with the biomedical engineers that Dr. Wasser has gotten us all excited about. I can't express how cool it feels to know that this project we will be working on, isn't just for a grade. It will actually mean something in the real world and could have so much potential! After a couple of semesters of consistent textbook learning, it's pretty awesome we'll get to do some hands on learning that will actually feel like it matters. I can't wait!
Anyways, I can smell my host mom cooking, so I'm going to go check it out!
Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment