Thursday, January 28, 2016

Waffles, Tiramisu, and More


Right now I'm sitting at the AIB while some of my classmates have their differential equations lecture and the TA's, also known as minions, are grading assignments.  I apologize if this blog entry isn't as exciting as you were expecting it to be. There's so much to write about, yet my mind can't seem to remember it all the moment I sit down at the computer.

So it's been a little over two weeks since arriving in Bonn, but it feels much longer than that. I've gotten used to a routine since being here. Although, last night as I was watching Netflix(don't worry Mom and Dad, I still get school work done) I thought, "Wow, I'm in Germany right now." Even though I'm getting used used to being here, I still have those aforementioned moments.  Just today we received our visas for Germany.  I'm a citizen of Bonn... in Germany.. what.  I'm a citizen in a town outside of the US.

This past weekend, some friends and I went to Belgium. We went to Belgium! I never thought that I would be in Belgium, ever. As soon as we got off the train in Brussels, I realized that I know even less French than I do German. I didn't even know how to ask if anyone spoke English in French.

What did we do in Brussels, Belgium? Well, all of the tourist-y things, of course: we ate waffles and fries, and we saw the little peeing boy(Manneken Pis). Not sure why it's such an attraction, but we all agreed that we must see the little peeing boy. It was a great weekend and only one of the many foreign cities that I will get the chance to see.

Last night I got to practice German with my host family, eat tiramisu that my host mom's Italian friend made, and talk with my Belarusian host sister. Last night was really great, I was up till 11 doing all of these things.  I got to know more about the girl who lives just across the hallway from me and we had a great conversation that ranged from the German language to what it's like in her home country of Belarus.  It really challenged my mind to consider all the different walks of life people come from.

I've enjoyed getting to learn more about the different cultures from around the world, not just in Germany, and I'm excited to see what more there is to experience during my time in Europe.


1 comment:

  1. Nice - glad you're getting to do lots of cool things! Miss you and love you lots!

    ReplyDelete