Sunday, January 31, 2016

Weekend Nummer Eins

Would you say there's a sharp divide between people who journal and those who don't?  I would say yes.  My dad journals almost daily, while I don't think I have seen my mom journal ever.  I think it is safe to say that I am a good mix of my parents, both in looks and personality, but in this case, I clearly side with my mom.  Journalling was never a constant hobby of mine, yet I knew coming into this trip that it would be wise to start.  Now, I know that sentiment was correct.  Excited to document my new surroundings and initial experiences, I wrote my previous blog post before we officially needed to start posting.  Yet, look down, look up, and here we are two weeks later! Time goes by so quickly, even though attempting to remember the events of two weeks ago feels like a month instead.  I'm not sure I'll ever understand that dichotomy.  Regardless, I am going to challenge myself to personally write something every day (considering this group of people and the trips I have taken thus far, I will be at no shortage for material).  But for now, let's recap my first European adventures.

After settling in with the host family and being acquainted with Bonn and AIB, we were able to take a tour of the Mayschoss vineyards, followed by a hike to Kreuzberg Church in Bonn the next morning.  If I could repeat those small adventures again— all the great people, wine tasting, and hiking— I absolutely would.  My first Sunday in a foreign country could only be described as a spontaneous success.  Early Sunday morning several of us met at the Hauptbahnhof to travel to a church near Dusseldorf.  Side note: whenever your friend says, "hey, I think that's our train," be concerned.  The phrases "German efficiency" and "silly Americans" come to mind…  After missing our train, we just waited in the McDonalds for the next train and soon sped through snow covered fields and past Cologne to our destination.  We visited the church and got to know many of the people, like Vlad, a Russian who immigrated to Germany at 18 years old, and Fredrick, a young man from Ghana, I believe, who is studying mechanical engineering here.  Each individual was incredibly genuine and interested in us and our travels.  A 23 year old girl named Melody, originally from the Dominican Republic then took us to lunch, to get ice cream (even though it was about 30 degrees), and to the Benrath Palace and Park.  Despite the sleet and cold, we all enjoyed ourselves— taking amazing and debatebly childish pictures, exploring the park, and sitting by the lake to watch the swans float by while the sun set behind the palace.  Sounds a fairy tale, right?  Felt like one. 


As the week went on, we started our classes, each of which took on a distinctive feel, and I began to see what would be necessary to do well in each class as well as the differences that distinguish my current courses from courses at A&M.  The week culminated with a trip to Aachen, full of rich history and the first details of our industry project with enmodes.  Beyond all the fun and excitement, I am truly eager for the moment months from now when I can reflect on how much I have grown professionally and academically.

No comments:

Post a Comment