Monday, January 25, 2016

There's no place like home! And where exactly is that?

Monday, January 25, 2016

#3
Well whaddayaknow, I’m in Germany! And it feels so incredibly right and normal. It’s uncanny but I feel as though I’ve lived here my whole life. When we arrived back in Bonn from Maastrict I felt like I’d returned home. The Netherlands felt like a foreign country, stranger in a strange land sort of thing, and Germany just felt like Germany. Bizarre.

Anyways, wandering about the caves that meander under Maastrict was incredible. There’s something so admirable about the miners who worked there all those years ago. Our guide blew out the lights for part of the tour, the dark was all consuming. One of the French ladies up ahead exclaimed to her friends, ‘Adieu, les filles!’ (Goodbye forever, girls!). I’ll admit, I felt disoriented and, even though we were perfectly safe, a profound sense of unease… but, we lived! And I have a gazillion photos of the incredible artwork that had been left in the tunnels by artists. There’s something kind of romantic about painting by the light of a gas lamp in a dark, damp cave that goes on an on. Not that I would.

Classes are starting up and already I’m feeling, well, under pressure (Freddie Mercury’s voice is now swirling around in my head). There’s so much I want to do, but I know that I have to remain dedicated to my studies. Oh well, life can’t be all rose petals and sweet scents. They’ve got their thorns too. Hah, cheesy!

Ah well, farewell for now, I’ve got a retrospective blog to write.


Ashleigh Kozicz

No comments:

Post a Comment