Saturday, January 9, 2016

Thoughts before the BIG journey!

It has finally hit me. I will be leaving for journey in 3 days! There are so many different things running through my mind right now. I am filled with so much excitement, sadness, and curiosity that I'm honestly not sure what to do about it all. There are thoughts of "What if I miss my flight?", "What if I can't find where the meeting spot is when I land in Frankfurt?", "What if I don't make any friends?", etc. You can't help but to think about all of these things at my age. Even with all of these questions running through my head, I try my best to stay positive.

When I applied for this trip, I had no idea that there was actually a real chance of being chosen to go. It was completely spontaneous, and I didn't see a reason to not try, so I went for it! When I received my congratulatory email, I just sat in my living room and cried, TEARS OF JOY...of course! I have always dreamed about studying abroad, and now that dream is becoming a reality. I didn't tell my parents about the trip or even that I had applied until after I was chosen to go. I was scared of their reactions and what they would say. I had a fear that they wouldn't even let me go, but as I sat them down and told them about the trip, what we would be doing, and what a big accomplishment this was, they were so encouraging and supporting in letting me go. Then the real planning started!

Christmas break was filled with lots of shopping, saying goodbyes, and final packing in order to get ready for the big day! Now as the final countdown has begun, I'm starting to get a feeling of sadness for the ones that I will miss so much while I am gone. My friends, family, and awesome boyfriend have ensured me that they will all be here when I get back, and of course I know this, it's just hard to leave them all behind for so long. When the feelings of sadness come along, I try to think of the great things that I will be getting to do while in Germany. These feelings of excitement seem to somewhat conquer the feelings of sadness that sneak in. I'm excited to make new friends with my peers that are going to be by my side in Bonn. Four months is a long time to be alone with new people, but hopefully by the end of the trip we will have all made great friends to last a lifetime.

Just a month ago, I was contacted by my host family, the Aldenhoff-Schilling's. This was another exciting part of the preparation for Germany. I am so excited to finally meet this wonderful family who has offered to take me in for the next four months! They have two kids, a little boy and girl, who I only hope to build a great relationship with along with the mother and father. I hope that I can learn the Germany lifestyle from them so that I can get accustomed to living in the country. I've never thought about learning German, but with their help, I pray that I can get the hang of it!

Now it is time to go back to packing, and to making sure that I have absolutely everything before I leave on Tuesday. The journey is getting close, and I hope and pray that it will be the journey of a lifetime! The next time I sit and write on this blog, I will be in Bonn.
Tschüss für heute!

No comments:

Post a Comment