Saturday, January 21, 2012

We're in Germany!

So, we’re in Germany! Honestly, it still hasn’t hit me yet. It’s almost like this is just a trip and we’re all going to go back to College Station in a week or so to start classes. I can’t believe we’re going to be spending four whole months here. It will be quite an experience.

So far everything has been good, however I’m not quite over the jetlag. I have enjoyed getting to know my host family better. We haven’t quite gotten over the awkward stage yet but hopefully we will soon. The first night we were here, all of their children (Maylin, Leander, and Tessa) were at dinner with us. It was nice getting to meet everyone but I wish we could interact more with them. Leander left for school after the first night and Maylin has been studying for her graduate exams. We don’t spend much time with Tessa either as she is almost always busy.

One thing I’ve noticed that’s very different from College Station is the way men act here. I take the tram to school everyday and I’ve noticed that a man does not usually offer a woman his seat. They also do not hold doors open for women or let them go first. Although it seems odd to me, I realize that this is their culture and I look forward to learning more about it. Another culture difference I’ve noticed is the meals. At home, we usually eat smaller lunches and big dinners but that is reversed here.

We're going to the AIB reception soon to do our skit. Hopefully it goes well! (And we win) :)


No comments:

Post a Comment