Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pre-departure Musings

It's not that I can't believe that I'm leaving for Germany in five days-- I mean, after all of the preparations and packing, it's kind of undeniable. It just seems a bit...unreal? I think most of that comes with not really knowing exactly what to expect. I've been abroad before, but never for an entire semester, never staying with a host family and never anywhere near Germany. All of these things add up to the emotional roller coaster that I'm on now; it seems like every time someone asks me about Germany I go from excited to nervous to excited to anxious and then back to excited. I really can't wait just to get on the plane and get this semester underway!

I'll be staying with the M. family, and the more I learn about them, the more I have to be thankful for. They seem really nice and took in both Andrea and myself, so it will be nice to have someone to learn the culture with.

As far as using this post as a pre-trip evaluation, I guess I'll mention my goals. I really want to learn some German- at least enough to carry on a conversation (and with an accent that doesn't make it sound like I have a permanent cold). I also want to keep up my grades, but try to spend some time traveling and possibly getting in touch with some distant relatives who live in Osterode, Germany. Lastly, I want to keep running (despite the cold), take tons of pictures, and never take any part of this amazing opportunity for granted!

So, that's about it. Only time will tell how this trip will change each of our lives, and I am so looking forward to the experience. All I have to do now is finish packing and pray that I can get my suitcase to close. See you all in Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment