Sunday, January 8, 2012

Still in Texas... but not for long


Hello world.

In short, I feel like this simple statement is sort of a motif for the what I'm expected from this trip as a whole. I'm imagining getting off the plane, taking a deep breath full of German air, and ready to initiate my self in another part of this small planet. I imagine living in another for 4 months is going to be a sort of cultural kick to the face (in a good way). I lived in the same house for 18 years growing up, then moved to College Station where the culture is different, but not by much. The excitement for this study abroad trip has been building for about a year now and its finally here. One week from now, I will be in Germany!

My host family, the seem very welcoming. We've communicated via email since before Christmas and shared various information about my family and theirs. New Zealand has been a dream destination of mine for many years, so I'm looking
forward to living with a couple folks who've spent a few months there. They seem like a very active family. The parents enjoy hiking and "driving the bike" (which I'm assuming is a motorcycle, but I could be mistaken). I'm looking forward to any possible excursions taken with the family. I really enjoy nature and hiking so perhaps the parents will take Chase (my roommate) and I out on a hike around the area. Definitely, learning about a new culture. I want to learn the language, music, customs, food, holidays, lifestyle, EVERYTHING about the Germans. From what I've been told and read about, it seems like an amazing place to be a part of. I'm also looking forward to the beer. A country with purity laws for their beer? A country that has been described as "not have a non-excellent beer"? Yes please. The countryside is another thing to be excited about. Texas is so flat, but right in southern Germany are the Alps! I really want to visit the Neuschwanstein Castle in the Southern German Alps. That's another thing to look forward to: Castles, architecture, and old buildings! And above all, I'm looking forward to travelling. Ever since I was a kid my favorite activity has been splorin' (exploring). I can't wait to explore Europe and take in everything it has to offer -> including the 5th highest bungee jump in the world located at the Innsbruck bridge, Austria!!

Goals:
-learn conversational German
-stay in shape
-visit at least 5 countries
-develop a friendly relationship with my host familiy
-make lasting friendships and relationships people from other countries as well as bond with the A&M study abroad group
-Keep my relationship with Brittany (girlfriend) strong during a 4 month absence
-spend all my money
-don't get sick
-have plenty of campfire stories to tell when I get back
-take a beer bath in Bavaria ;]
-develop connections and network with professors and possibly German Biomedical companies
-there was one more thing...

oh yeah..! make good grades in school.
After all, this is a STUDY abroad trip.

Dr. Wasser and Joy Yost, thank you for taking the time to organize this trip for BMEN/BIMS!

They say people change over time; that you're not the same person you were 6 months ago. Well hopefully in 6 months, I'll be a new and improved, socially and culturally aware, experienced and skilled, edition of my self. This marks the beginning of a one in a lifetime experience!

7 days!

HELLO WORLD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment