Sunday, January 29, 2012

Singing Monks and Castles

So, if I ever have enough money, I will not buy a castle, or at least a 12th or 13th century castle. Or maybe I will but only because I will have to protect myself from sieges from the peasants of the countryside and der fish, but that seems pretty improbable.

The Maria Laach was a beautiful sight to see. The simplicity of the Roman architecture, supplemented by the natural beauty of the volcanic stone, made for a stunning centerpiece upon a gorgeous lake. Also, if I can't find a job once I'm back in the states I can always come back here and sign up for monkhood! That's a last case scenario though.

Monreal was pretty cool but it wasn't the picturesque and quaint town that I was expecting from the German countryside. I'm not saying that the town was unpleasant but, I do think that it is more of a town made for the spring and summer tourists. Also, I felt like you could kind of see the forced qualities of the town, trying to be picturesque but not having that authentic feeling, or something like that.

Also, I think it was good that we went to schloss Burresheim, for the castle was a good example of how hazy the German and French borders were during the medieval times. The castle was in present day German territory but was eventually owned by French hosts, or at least I think that is right, according to the tour and my interpretation of it. Reiterating my beginning point though, the castle did not look comfortable, compared to today's standards.

Also, I was fortunate enough to go to a Bundesliga game! It was awesome. The atmosphere of the stadium was unbelievable. The away fans were hilarious. At the beginning of the game, FC Koln played their club's song and as a sign of respect, the away fans were raising their hands and flipping the bird. As the home players were being announced, each time a last name was called the home crowd would yell the player's last name but the away fans would just yell "ASSHOLE!" each time. For example, instead of Lukas PODOLSKI, it was Lukas ASSHOLE! And the game was fun too, but the fans were the best part.

Below, a picture of the bros. The +50 years members are apart of the gold club and get canes.

No comments:

Post a Comment