Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lost in Bonn

There seem to be two basic arguments when it comes to getting lost:
1. It's a regrettable side effect of being ill-prepared and easily confused, or
2. It's a wonderful way to see unknown places and new scenery.
After waking up late this morning to warmer weather than we've been having (a whopping 8°C), I decided it would be a great time to go for a run. Before long, I had the opportunity to form my own opinion of getting lost (which happens to fall somewhere between the previously stated opinions depending on exactly how lost I am and how cold it is). My host family doesn’t live too far from the river, so I thought I’d try to find my way there. Somewhere along the way, I missed a turn and it turned into a kind of guessing game. I did make it to the river (which was beautiful), and I think that was one of the first times I stopped to marvel at the fact that I am now nearly a week into living in Germany. I mean, there are certain things that kind of smack you in the face- the foreign language, the freezing weather, walking by statues of Beethoven on the way to class… It just seems like whenever the culture shock abates even a little, there’s something brand new waiting to impress.

As far as the details into what’s happened this first week, there seem to be too many to relate. German class started off well, but I’m kind of frustrated with how little I know, how slow I learn, and how bad my pronunciation is. After studying Spanish for four years, it’s a bit discouraging to have to start from square one in such a different language. Still, we’ve got time—and plenty
of opportunities—to practice German. I’m glad that classes have started off pretty light. Thanks to this and the help of my host family, I’ve been mostly able to avoid feeling overwhelmed by all the change. I see the most of my host mom and dad, since the kids are mostly busy, and I’m gradually feeling more at home with them (although it will still take some time). Anyway, those are my first impressions in a nutshell. Bis später.

No comments:

Post a Comment