Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fantastic Day(s)


Last Sunday, we all went to Maria Laach to attend mass at the nearby Benedictine Monastery. Although I could not understand everything that was said in the sermon, I really enjoyed the singing of the monks. The singing alone was worth getting up at 6 AM to make the 7:30 AM meeting time. It was also during this time that I realized how thoroughly European houses of worship seem to be decorated; every wall, ceiling, and support beam seemed to house a wonderful decoration.

Afterwards, we visited the Castle Bürresheim, which can be seen in the picture. We were given an informative tour through the interior of the more comfortable part of the castle, which was still pretty cold. I only wish that I could have climbed the castle’s tower and parapets as well.

After lunch, at which time I learned I do not like pesto, we went to the town of Monreal. In the town, we meet what appeared to be a stray orange and white cat. This cat proceeded to follow us as we went to explore and climb local ruined fortifications. We also strolled through the streets of this magnificently picturesque small town. There was even a home that seemed to have been hit by a cannonball a few hundred years ago. We could tell because there was a cannonball shaped object protruding from the outside wall. By the end of the day, I felt like four days had gone by.

By comparison, Monday and Tuesday are not worth mentioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment