Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Before

Over this past semester I have been preparing this exciting and life changing experience in Germany, and surprisingly enough, it hasn't set in that i am leaving? Surely this feeling is going to change once i finally set on on european soil. I haven't thoight about leaving that much because i have been studying for the DAT (dental admissions test) which is on January 12th, three days before i set off on my journey. Talk about perfect timing right? Let's just hope it all goes my way!

My excitement first began though when i got my e-mail from my host family, The Tessin's. They live in
Bad Godesburg, which is a suburb of Bonn about 15 minutes away. They seem incredibly friendly and
I know that they are going to make my experience awesome! I found out that they play tennis, so I
will be able to keep up with my sport while I am abroad and hopefully cancel out all the caloric (bier)
consumption! ha. The Tessin's will include Niko, Annette, Anna (11 years) & their dog Laika. They also
have 2 other daughters, but one will be in New Zealand and the other is studying at KIT.

Below is a picture of my host parents, Niko & Annette.



For myself, I certainly have some goals that I want to conquer while I am abroad. For starters,
I want to became apart of the society by learning the language and adopting the German way of life, and
really get in touch with my inner German. (Bautsch is my last name, so german blood runs deep). But also
I want to travel Europe as well and see what it has to offer. I bought a eurail pass so I know that I
have the essentials for traveling as much I can. Besides learning the language & culture, and trekking
through Europe I really want to make sure that I don't miss an opportunity. You live life once, why not
life it to the fullest each day, not letting any great moment pass!!

Yet, I will be missing some aspects about Texas, most importantly Mexican food & Hebert's Cajun restaurant
in College Station, and WATERSKIING. (noted: I will be going through some withdrawals)ha. But I will be missing
my cousin's wedding in March, and the birth of niece in April, and the graduation of my great friends .
However, it is worth the sacrifice, we are talking about Europe here! And 4 months away from
Texas is nothing.

Overall, I am nervous about being in foreign country. But i have come to learn that being nervous
isn't a bad thing. Being nervous is going to force me to adjust to living there and hopefully conquering
my goals while I am abroad. I am so ready for what this experience was coming my way!

8 MORE DAYS!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment