Monday, January 9, 2012

Almost There!

I always knew I was going to do some kind of study abroad during my college career. Before I found out about this program, I figured I would do a summer or a wintermester abroad so as not to get behind on my curriculum. When I first saw the presentation for this opportunity last year, I got so excited and I decided then that this is what I wanted to do.

It would be an understatement to say that I am excited. I have never been to Germany and I cannot wait to live there for a semester. I have been communicating with my host family. Not only am I excited but I am also nervous. I am from Houston so I have never been away from home longer than a month or so, let alone in another country for that long. Next, I’m nervous about the language. I have taken a few years of French and Spanish but I have not taken any German classes. I hope that I will learn some German while I’m there.

I have a few goals for the semester as well. I want to learn how to speak Germany, not necessarily fluently but at least enough to get around. I want to travel…a lot! I want to still do well in my classes despite the many distractions studying abroad presents. I want to get to know my classmates better. Hopefully when we all get back, we’ll stay close!

I can’t believe we’re only 6 days away from leaving. It just doesn’t seem real yet. Honestly, I don’t think it will hit me until a few weeks into the trip. Hopefully we have a great time and that this is an experience I will always remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment