Monday, January 30, 2012

Busy Weekend


So this week has been a lot of fun. On Friday on the way to the Hauptbahnhof Candy and I decided to go to the grocery store to get food for the train ride to Amsterdam. After we had chosen all that we wanted we had to wait in the line and scramble our way to the train station
and we arrived with about 10 minutes to spare. Safe to say that next time I'll be stopping at the store much earlier. The ride to Amsterdam was pretty amusing with everything that was going on but eventually Candy and I began to talk with the lady from Spain and she suggested we go to Seville and Paris. Looking outside the window on the train ride the landscape changed so much. All the buildings from Bonn and Cologne turned into flatland with single houses, trees and some farm animals. Amsterdam is such a beautiful city but the only thing I didn't like was how common the smell of smoke was. We walked around the town and wandered to the red light district while looking for The Bulldog. It was weird how close a church (I'm assuming it was a Catholic) was to an area with activities it looks down upon. Not even 15 ft from the end of the red
light district was the entrance to a snazzy looking restaurant with people dressed up drinking wine with candles on the table. It was such an unexpected combination of 3 different
establishments. All the canals that ran through the city were so pretty! There were even swans and ducks just swimming along both at night and in the day.

The trip yesterday to the Eifel was fun but cold. In the morning it was still pretty dark out when I got to the train station at Ramersdorf and when the tram showed up I ended in the cart with people on it who looked like they had just finished partying. I sat next to them and just waited and hoped they would get off before me. When they did get off 2 stops later I kind of felt relieved they were gone. On the way to the place we were supposed to meet there was a sticker of Superman on a trashcan. Useless picture but it was amusing to see.

The cat that followed us up the hill at Monreal was so adorable! I wonder what happened to it after we left?

No comments:

Post a Comment