Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Friendliness, Reveille, and Geschichte

When we did some preliminary planning yesterday of our weekend traveling, it made me very excited to start going and seeing other places. Before I just had some vague ideas of where I wanted to go, but now that we have some almost-plans I can't wait to begin.

I'm also starting to settle into Bonn. I can mostly find my way around, at least the area nearest the AIB, and I already adjusted to taking the bus every day. I must admit, I thought I wouldn't like taking the bus, and I was nervous the first day, but it has been surprisingly pleasant and uncomplicated. I might even consider taking the bus more often when I get back to College Station; if I can manage it here, surely I can also manage in a place with which I am already familiar, and where I speak the same language?

During the past week I have slowly gotten more comfortable with my host family. I tend to be shy and reserved at first, so it usually takes me a bit longer to get to know people. In the last two days I've been able to communicate a handful of sentences in German. Today my host mom even teased me about the way I was holding my spoon, and as anyone knows, you are not really a family unless you can tease one another.

It has been really nice to spend time with a lot of the people on this trip. Believe it or not, before coming I was nervous about not really connecting or making friends with anyone (although I didn't want to say anything before, for fear I would sound like the reticent, painfully shy introvert that I sometimes am), but I was extremely happy to find that everyone has been very friendly, and I feel well on the way towards being very good friends with some.

Yesterday, I was given a huge honor. I am now in charge of “schlepping” Reveille around and taking pictures of her doing fun foreign things. Although I am afraid I have already experienced a failure in my duties (I did not bring her to the Haus der Geschichte today), I have introduced her to Joy and Djenga, the Border Collie mix dogs of my host family.


Speaking of the Haus der Geschichte, I really enjoyed being able to see things I had previously learned but from the German perspective, rather than the American perspective. I even got a little choked up during some parts, trying to imagine what it must have been like. When I got home I had a conversation with my host mom about it, and she mentioned that she had had a German History teacher who really pounded them with the fact that Hitler was bad. That reminded me of how sometimes in history classes I had felt guilty for past moral ambiguities that the US had committed, like Hiroshima or the Vietnam War, and she said that even though there are black spots on a country's history, it's still important to remember, which is basically what Dr. Wasser said earlier on the tour. Sometimes in history class I would feel almost ashamed to be an American, but I think it's still ok to have patriotism as long as you recognize the mistakes of the past and try not to repeat them, like the Germans with Vergangenheitsbewältigung.

No comments:

Post a Comment