Thursday, January 26, 2012

Genau





So far, I have learned that germans absolutely love the word "genau" meaning exactly. And i made it the title of my post just to reiterate the fact that germans really do use this word in every sentence. Genau.

This past Sunday, I went with my host family to the Eifel Region, which is around 50 km away from Bonn. And this place is beautiful!! We hiked (Hike hard, Party harder), which germans love to do, and absorbed in all the great scenery of mountains and streams that surrounded us. Also we stopped by this beautiful cathedral that was centuries old. Inside was the alter that was really awesome. My host grandmother told me they made this alter unique by making the hands of the saints very rough to iterate how this village really worked hard for what they had. At the end of our hike we went to this Eifel restaurant and I had the BEST CHEESECAKE of my life. Sorry New York, but you lost.

Then this past Wednesday, Dr. Wasser, the future publisher of Wasser Encyclopedias (A-Z), gave us a great tour at German History Museum in Bonn from 1945-present. It was a great tour and what I really learned was that Germany had been through so much turmoil, but still always rose up again to be one the powerhouses. Also by learning german history I really start to appreciate Germany for everything it has to offer. You see that it isn't just a land of BMW's, but it is a land full of people who have worked hard through the turmoil they have faced, and has risen above and beyond expectation to succeed stupendously.

Most importantly, MY HOST FAMILY IS GREAT. They are so nice and really treat me like one of their own. They have a beautiful home and cook awesome food. I really couldn't ask for anything better! And also I'm so excited to continue building great relationships with people in the group!

PS. AMSTERDAM TOMORROW!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment