Sunday, January 22, 2012

Oh, German.

Today I attended my first German mass. It was beautiful! At least, I think it was. I had absolutely no clue what was said, so for all I know they could have been talking about what to eat for dinner. Nonetheless, the Cathedral was nice and it made me feel like home attending my regular Sunday mass. Also, the place made me feel like I went back in time to some cooler ages.

This first week, besides speaking the language, has been a success. Of course, I have gotten lost, couldn't find my group, almost got on the wrong bus, missed the bus, took longer than usual to get to AIB, almost lost my wallet, and have declared official war on my host family's coffee machine, BUT I have learned so much from these mistakes! I can now get myself home and to AIB with ease. The coffee is still a work in progress.

The language on the other hand, has not been so great. I realized this week that I have never had to go through the trouble of learning another language. For as long as I can remember, I have been fluent in both Spanish and English, so this is a completely new experience for me... and it's way more frustrating than when I was a baby.

Everyday I help my host sisters speak English and they teach me new phrases in German. The first couple of days they had to keep repeating the same phrases to me since I am obviously incompetent and completely forget everything in a couple of minutes. Therefore, I decided to try another method by writing everything down and trying to memorize these later. Hopefully this works because feeling like a mute every time a German talks to me is getting quite annoying.

I hope we all get better at this soon!

Tschuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment