Monday, January 23, 2012

Spider Monday

So it is now Monday, marking (I think), one week spent in Bonn.  I am still having trouble convincing myself that this is not an extended vacation and that I desperately need to work on my applications and to start studying. 

Not too much has happened since I posted yesterday, but I feel that there is one thing of note that I should address.  Spiders.  Now, I am pretty good about dealing with bugs.  I go camping a lot and do not really care that there are bugs everywhere around me.  Heck, I used to even play with “Daddy long legs” spiders at summer camp because I knew they wouldn’t bite me.  Yet, I cannot handle spiders indoors.  Sure I’ll flush them down the toilet or something if I absolutely have to, but while growing up it was much easier to trap it and save it for someone else (aka: my dad) to take care of.

This morning I got up and ran around the neighborhood exploring all of the streets since it wasn’t deathly cold.  I had successfully made it back to the house and hopped in the shower when I noticed this HUGE spider in the top corner of the shower.  Now there have been a few smaller ones in the shower before that I just sprayed with water and squished, but this one was scary looking.  I kept an eye on it, but of course it decided to start descending towards me.  I frantically whacked it with the Loufa that the host student from last fall had left in the shower, but it just started floating in the water.  Eventually I managed to kill it with the Loufa and flushed it down the toilet, all whilst balancing shampoo in my hair and managing not to get it in my eyes.   I have hence dubbed the Loufa my spider killer, and hope that the spider’s friends don’t start to wage war on me. Ugh, I do not like spiders.

On a slightly happier note, I successfully navigated the bus stops this morning! I always feel like one of the locals when I know my stop is next, push the stop button, and successfully disembark without having to run for the door before it closes.  I have also noticed that I can now type faster on a German computer keyboard than an American one.  I foresee problems upon my return to the states in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment