Sunday, February 26, 2023

week 7 recap

 So highlight of the week was buying Lizzo tickets for this coming Monday. There is a transportation strike on Monday so we might have to get a little crafty in order to make the concert. 

This week Peri and I started going back to the gym (yay). We have both missed it a lot. I made her do a 46 minute HIIT workout in retribution for the leg day she put me through. The low of my week also happened at the gym though. Peri and I were just starting the leg press and a guy let us know that he was setting up his weights for it for when we were done and then later he came up to us saying that we had been there for 6-7 minutes already and basically needed to get off of it so he could use it. We finished our set but he stood there and huffed and paced around the machine. It was the first time in the gym that someone made me feel like I didn't belong there and that it was an inconvenience that we were working out. As if he was entitled to the space more than us and his workout was more important than ours. It didn't help that he took all the 15kg plates in the weight area just for his workout and did different workouts or walked around and talked to people in between sets. Not only was he rude to us, he was a hypocrite. It's weird because it didn't affect me long term and it wasn't traumatic but it pissed me off a lot. All I know is that I'm never letting anyone bully me off of a machine again. 

On a good note, I really am enjoying lectures. I love the history of medicine lectures because they are so engaging and I am actually learning the overall messages and lessons that history is supposed to teach us rather than dates and things like that. Physiology is so interesting and I wish I had signed up to take Phys 2 instead of genetics because I like the way it is taught here. Also the endocrine and GI systems were probably the systems I was most looking forward to learning about but I don't get to learn about them until next semester. 

A bunch of us met up with Reagan and Blanche on Friday and talked a little bit about grad school. I was nervous that 2 years might put me "behind" or that it would be a waste of time or money. Talking to them kind of made me realize that 2 years isn't a long time and that you'll gain skills that you didn't previously have so it would (most likely) make you a more interesting or competitive candidate for medical schools anyway. I found a biomedical sciences masters program at the University of Barcelona that I really like but I need to do a lot more research into possible programs. 

Movie night on Friday with Kassy and Peri was really fun. We watched the movie "Birdman". A very artsy movie that interesting to watch. It's a one shot movie which I really appreciated, but I need to research it to fully understand what the movie was trying to say I think. Also the new season of drive to survive came out. It has been really fun talking to everyone about it and watching it. Kassy is the ultimate Lewis Hamilton fan and I support her in that whole heartedly. 

I am really liking Germany so far and I feel like I'm really living a life that I enjoy for the first time in a long time. Excited for week 8 because of the concert and the Dortmund game I'm going to on Friday. Also Amsterdam is this weekend which I'm looking forward to. 

1 comment: