Monday, February 13, 2023

Week 5: Vienna, Prague, and Exhaustion

Talk about a busy week. I don't think I have ever gone so long on so little sleep and so little caffeine. I have tried to cut back on the amount of coffee that I drink and let me tell you that was not the move when it came to traveling this week. From Tuesday when we left for Vienna, until early Monday morning when we finally made it back to Bonn, I didn't get more than 5 hours of sleep each night. We were all so focused on having a good time in the places we visited and seeing all that we could that we sacrificed our sleep schedules for it. I would do it all again in a heart beat though. 

    Vienna was absolutely incredible and just walking the streets made me feel content. I can't even really describe why I liked the city so much but it ended up being one of my favorite places that I have ever gotten to visit. The architecture was astounding, the people were interesting, and the energy of the city was a subtle kind of electric. Some of us really got to know each other better on the trip and we enjoyed getting together to hang out in a hotel room at the end of each day. The tour that we went on were also super informative and unique experiences. The only one that was a little tough to swallow was the preserved specimens museum and that's only because human medicine grosses me out. I'm a vet med girl all the way.

    Prague, on the other hand, was not my favorite place. I had heard pretty good things about the city and was excited to go and visit once our study trip had concluded. The city was honestly underwhelming after being in Vienna. The nightlife was nothing to complain about but it wasn't anything to write home about either. I will say that we ended up in some pretty interesting situations so I guess I have cool stories to tell if nothing else. 

    Getting back to Bonn after Prague was an adventure in and of itself. The first train that Erin and I were on was delayed by about 20 minutes so we missed our first connection. We had to get an alternate route in Cheb and ended up on the same train as some of the other people that we had been traveling with. Getting back to my house at two o'clock in the morning was not what I had hoped for but the company made the trip bearable. Fingers crossed that our next trip is a little smoother than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment