Monday, February 20, 2023

Week 6!!!

 This was quite the week, a lot happened. Starting on Monday, I had class for almost 7 hours straight (with a lunch break), so that was a long day. Then Tuesday, we had to change our classes to be on Zoom because there was a public transportation strike. Because of that, none of us could get to class, with the exception of the few who live within walking distance of the AiB. I do not like class on Zoom, it is so hard to pay attention. During our super long lunch break, Peyton and I went and walked around Siegburg, which was very fun, the weather was perfect. For dinner, Peyton and I took a taxi to Patricio and Jackson's house, where they cooked Mexican food for us. It was so good and so sweet of them to do that. On Wednesday, I somehow had no classes. I still went to the AiB because I needed to get some schoolwork done, but it was nice to have a calmer day. On Thursday, we celebrated Karneval. It was a lot more fun than I anticipated. We arrived at the AiB pretty early to then catch a bus to Bueul. We walked in the parade and threw candy at everyone lined up in the streets. It was a very fun environment and I am sure that this past weekend and on Rose Montag, it was even crazier. After Karneval, most of us went to DonerHaud and I think our guy was pleased to see us there. On Friday, I had some classes and then went shopping which is always fun. Peyton and I got doners for dinner and I actually ate inside there for once. After that, we went home and I was able to call Madi and Brooke (my two besties and roommates) so I was very happy I got to talk to them. After that, I packed for my weekend trip to Berlin. Peyton and I left our house at 5:30 am on Saturday to head to Bonn Hbf. We got on a train at 6:30 am to take us directly to Berlin at 11:30. The train ride went by so fast and I was able to get a lot of homework done. We arrived in Berlin and headed to a tattoo parlor for Peyton. She was able to do a walk-in appointment which was easy. After, we went to pick up my gift from JC that was at Pandora. I loved my gift and was glad we could still try to get each other gifts for Valentine's Day. After that, we went to a really weird Italian restaurant. No one else was there and our cards declined and some other weird things happened...I left a bad review. We went back to our hotel after to meet up with Kassy, Victoria, Erin, and Peri. We all decided it was nap time. We then went to dinner at a cute Italian place that was very authentic. Our waiter was so nice and very interested in us. He also gave us a free dessert. We returned to our hotel after getting some snacks from a nearby store and just played some games in the hotel for a bit. The next morning, we went on a JOURNEY to find breakfast. One problem in Europe is that all restaurants are small so trying to sit more than 4 people is always difficult. We finally ended up at a wonderful breakfast place, but only half of us could sit inside..I was lucky to sit inside. The food was amazing and we got some pastries to go. We then went to a Memorial for the Jews and then to the Reichstag Building. We could not go in the Reichstag but we made reservations to come back and go in. After, we walked around the city for a bit, went to a flea market, then sat on the steps of a museum to chill for a bit. The sun was out so it was very nice weather compared to the rain the day before. We got some coffee after and then went to the German History Museum which was of course so interesting and only 5 euros for all 3 exhibits. After spending a bit of time there, we went to Taqueria el Oso, an amazing Mexican restaurant. We all got the best birria tacos I've ever had, and all the employees spoke Spanish which was so fun. After dinner, we tried to go to a Brauhaus, but it ended up being closed so we went back to the hotel. Monday morning, we woke up and headed back to the city for our tour of the Reichstag. The views were amazing and the best part was that this was free! We went to a cute breakfast place after and I think we could all agree it was the best breakfast we have had in Europe. We headed to Checkpoint Charlie and the Berlin Wall Memorial after. Even though I have already seen both of these places, it is so surreal to see the history and attempt to comprehend what that must have been like. Lastly, we went to the Berlin Cathedral before going to Berlin Hbf. Now I am on the train back to Bonn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment