Monday, February 13, 2023

Week 5: February 6-12

This week has been so much fun! Vienna has definitely taken the top spot on the list of places I’ve traveled so far. The light-colored buildings made the city feel so bright and welcoming. Prague was neat, but it wasn’t my favorite city. The medieval architecture was incredible, but it was very busy and centered on nightlife. Here’s a not-so-short recap of my week:

Monday was a pretty normal day, except we found out that Dr. Wasser, Rike, and Mason all had covid. Thankfully, they only had mild symptoms, and our trip to Vienna was only minimally affected. Mason was able to get to Vienna on Wednesday, but Dr. Wasser and Rike couldn’t come. Mara led the trip, and only one activity had to be canceled. Anyways, Dr. Wasser taught via Zoom on Monday, and then we had our pre-departure meeting. Erin and I stocked up on snacks for the trip and then worked on homework for a while. I had my interview for grad school, and now I am officially enrolled in the MS Business program at Mays starting this summer. I went home and packed for a while. My host mom and I had fries and wine for dinner, and it was probably the most fun I’ve had with her so far this trip! She even hugged me goodbye before I left for Vienna.

On Tuesday, I woke up at 4am to make it to Bonn hbf for our train to Vienna. We had 9 hours of travel ahead of us. The ICE train we caught in Koblenz was really nice. While on the train, Erin, Elizabeth, Colby, Matt, and I booked an Airbnb in Nice, France and a flight back to Cologne for the weekend after Paris. We, along with Jackson and Milo, also booked flights to and from Split, Croatia for next weekend. A lot of us played Code Names online for a couple of hours, and that was a fun way to pass time. When we got to Vienna, we grabbed a quick meal at McDonalds before heading to St. Michael’s Church to see the crypt. We saw lots of wooden coffins and bones, along with a skeleton and two mummies. I got to hold a tibia and fibula from the 18th century, which was really cool. After, we ate a group dinner at Zwölf Apostelkeller. The Viennese wine we had was really good, and the atmosphere was a lot of fun!

On Wednesday, we had quite a bit of free time, which I made good use of. In the morning, I went to Schönbrunn Palace. We couldn’t go in front of the palace because they were filming a Viennese crime/detective show, but we still got to wander the gardens and hike up the hill to see some incredible views of the city. I had hot chocolate at the café on top of the hill, where the imperial family used to host dinner parties. Elizabeth, Erin, Matt, and I had lunch at Maria’s Pizzeria and Street Food, and then we met up with everyone to go on our tour of the Pharma- und Drogistenmuseum. My favorite part of that museum was the collection of mortars and pestles. After, some of us went to Café Demel and got what Dr. Wasser considers the best hot chocolate. He was right. Then, Erin, Elizabeth, Amy, and I went to the National Library, which was incredible. The collection of books and globes was extensive, and the frescos on the ceiling were stunning. Then, we went to see Mozart’s grave. We had dinner at 7Stern Bräu, where I had a delicious pork schnitzel, and then went ice skating at Rathausplatz. Ice skating was definitely the highlight of the trip for me. The ice rink was two stories and was lit by string lights in the trees and around the rink. And having Rathaus (city hall) as a backdrop while skating was just the coolest thing.

Thursday was a very tiring day but still fun. We started the day with a tour of the Narrenturm, or “Fool’s Tower”. The wax molds of different diseases were slightly disturbing, but I can understand their use as teaching models for how diseases presented. The preserved organs, though, were really cool to see, and I found the skeletons of different types of conjoined twins to be particularly interesting. Afterwards, we went to the Freud Museum, where Dr. Wasser gave us a Zoom lecture on Freud and psychoanalysis. Then, we got to explore the museum, which was housed in Freud’s former residence. We had lunch at a Pakistani all-you-can-eat buffet, and then walked to meet Dr. Schnabel, a 17th century plague doctor. He led us on a walking tour of Vienna’s medical history and had us try various plague medicines like cloves, the urine of a healthy young boy, and vinegar with herbs. I thought the walking tour went surprisingly well, given that Dr. Schnabel had to be on Zoom on Reagan, Mara, and Blanche’s phone. My only complaint was how cold it was, especially with the wind. After the tour, I ate a quick dinner and then got dressed for the classical concert at St. Anne’s Church, which I really enjoyed. The church was beautiful, and it was really nice to just sit and listen to classical music for a while.

On Friday, we toured the Natural History Museum, which was housed in a remarkably ornate building built solely for the museum. You would think it was a former palace converted into a museum, but it was always the museum. I found it funny when the tour guide said he is always embarrassed to talk about the Vienna dinosaur exhibit with Americans because the Smithsonian dinosaur exhibit in DC is the largest. My favorite areas of the museum were probably the mammal exhibit and the precious gems exhibit. Then, I had lunch, went souvenir shopping, and headed to Wien hbf to catch the train to Prague. The train ride was pretty uneventful. It was nice to have our own compartment, but the last hour or so felt like forever. Once in Prague, we settled into the Airbnb, and then Elizabeth, Erin, Amy, and I met up with the guys to eat wings and hang out.

On Saturday, Elizabeth, Erin, Amy, and I ate delicious ham and cheese pastries at a bakery near the Airbnb. Then, we met up with the guys at the astronomical clock and watched it hit the top of the hour. We made our way up to Prague Castle and wandered through the cathedral and courtyard. We watched the changing of the guards and then headed into the square to get hot chocolate (because it was so cold!). We met up with some of the guys again to eat at Restaurace U Mlynáře. The food was good, but the atmosphere was even better. Our waiter was funny, kind, and accommodating, and the host didn’t get upset at all when he had to come rescue me and Elizabeth from the women’s bathroom after I locked us in there. Why do they not leave door handles on doors? Anyways, then we went to see the Dancing House and an old fortress. After a quick break at the Airbnb, Amy, Elizabeth, Erin, and I ate dinner at Las Adelitas, which was one of the best meals I’ve had so far in Europe. We met Colby for a river cruise on the Vltava, and then got a traditional Czech dessert – Trdelník. Delicious!

On Sunday, Elizabeth, Erin, and I grabbed another ham and cheese pastry and headed to the airport. We had a quick flight to Frankfurt, caught an hour-long train to Cologne, and then rode the street car back to Bonn. I was home by 4:30pm. I spent the evening unpacking and catching up with my host family, parents, and boyfriend and was asleep by 10pm!

Thankfully, I got a lot of sleep last night because I have a busy week of tests ahead, and then I’m heading to Croatia this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment