Saturday, February 11, 2023

Week 5; Vienna

 This week was so much fun!! 


On Monday, we found out Dr. Wasser and Rike had COVID so we all tested to make sure we were able to still go to Vienna. Other than the COVID tests, today was very chill and relaxing. Amanda and I were really excited to get home and to start packing. 

Tuesday we had to get up SO early to meet everyone in Bonn. By early I mean 3:45AM, to take the 4:27AM tram to Bonn. To say coffee was needed is an understatement. The coffee that we got was gross, and Amanda ended up spilling it all over the escalator when she tripped. That, was hilarious. The train ride went extremely fast, we played card games and I even read a book. Pat kept losing in speed which was comical. Once we got into Vienna, we went to the hotel for a bit and then headed to the Catacombs. I loved this tour, especially when we got to hold a human leg bone. After the catacombs, we went to dinner at this Viennese restaurant. The food was not my cup of tea but the wine was amazing. 

Wednesday, Amanda and I were able to sleep in for a bit. Sleep was needed badly. After we got breakfast we went to Starbucks so I could get the mug for my mom, and stopped in a bookstore. I ended up buying three books because the covers were beautiful. After the bookstore, we met everyone back at the hotel to go to the Drogisten Museum. This museum was so fun, especially when the guide was speaking on how drugs were made back then and what the packaging looked like. I also thought it was so cool when we saw the huge bottle of Chanel No. 5. I'm sure back then, the perfume was not as expensive as it is today. But seeing such a large bottle was shocking, I couldn't imagine how much money that size would be today. After this museum, we had a free day! Amanda, Colby, Jackson, Pat, and I all went to this Italian restaurant. This was the best pasta that I have had in such a long time. After we all ate, we went to one of the cathedrals and then headed to Cafe Demel. I thought the hot chocolate there was overrated and overpriced. I was not the biggest fan of it, but the others really enjoyed it. After this, we went to Christian Louboutin and I tried on some heels!! They didn't have the ones I wanted, so we just headed to Hard Rock Cafe for some drinks and then we headed to McDonalds for dinner. Don't judge, they actually had gluten free buns and it was delicious.

On Thursday, we had a very packed schedule. Our first stop was a museum that was the first psychiatric facility for Europe. This museum was very fascinating, and seeing some of the old techniques or instruments that were used on people was interesting. After this, we headed to the Freud Museum which was kind of interesting. Some parts of him and his theories were very cool, others I wasn't really into. After this museum, a couple of us went to a coffee shop near by which was really good. For lunch everyone ate at this Persian restaurant. They supposedly had gluten free, but there was so much cross contamination there, I couldn't eat there. That was a blast. Afterwards we headed to the city to listen to Dr. Wasser through a call explain the significance of some of the statues and paintings around the city. The lecture itself was cool, but it was so windy and cold outside that we all were freezing cold and miserable. After the tour, we went back to the hotel, and hung out all in one room watching a movie and then afterwards we headed to bed.

On Friday we had one last stop at the Natural History Museum. I loved this museum, especially the crystal collection they had. I fell in love with all of the stones. This one piece was a bouquet of these pink flowers made out of stone. It was beautiful, and it honestly looked fairly real. After this, we headed to the train station to Prague! When we arrived in Prague, we headed to the Airbnb and then went to dinner at this place called Food Lab. They had the best Risotto and these amazing drinks. Plus, our server was great.

On Saturday, we went to this gluten free bakery and I got a jelly filled donut. It was so good, but then we headed to this cafe close by and they had the best American breakfast. It was eggs, bacon, and sausage. Delicious. Afterwards, we started to explore Prague. We went to the Dancing Building, these statues, the infinite book tower, and a few other places. I was a little underwhelmed with the infinite book tower... Later at night, we headed to the five story club there, and stayed for a little bit. Amanda and I ended up leaving fairly early, once we got home, I was out.

On Sunday, Amanda and I had a flight to catch back to Germany. So we headed out early, got some breakfast, and then went to the airport. There was this coffee shop that had the BEST coffee that I have had in Europe. I wish there was one close by to Bonn. Our flight home went smoothly and when we finally made it to our host house I was so exhausted. I went to bed really quickly once we got home. The travelling this week was a lot of fun, but definitely exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment