Friday, February 10, 2023

Vienna

 

So many memories on this one, it helped to write while looking through my cameral roll

An early start to the day with the train from Bonn departing at 5:36am and continuing for around 9 hours was eased in its expected boredom by great conversation and beautiful views out the windows at around 7:40 we witnessed a sunrise over the mountainside in Oberwesel/Bacharach. After we arrived in Vienna I took the pent up energy from being seated for so long and was super excited to continue into the afternoon. This excitement soon was depressed by what the first item on the agenda was starting. This being the tour through the largest catacombs of Vienna. I personally and not one for tight spaces underground with corpses so this wasn’t my favorite excursion, although it was historically beneficial to see it wasn’t the most pleasurable. Some highlights from it were piled femurs in an organized fashion up against the wall, mummified corpses with silk dressware, and ornate coffins. After our excavation from beneath the collection of corpses I had my first pleasurable experience in Vienna, Dinner. It was great.

        The next morning after a phenomenal breakfast at the motel one, we went to the Schlosspark Schönbrunn. This place was amazing, be prepared to walk a lot because this place seems like it was made for giants due to its vast size, as you approach the center isle in the middle of the palace you look to your left down a gravel road and see an ornate structure what seem to be acres away then you look to your right and find another ornate structure acres down on the right path. As your gaze looks head on you see a beautiful fountain at there bottom of the hill with a gold and stone complex on the top, although its a steep walk up, the view is worth every step all of Vienna seems to be visible, pictures cannot do it justice.

We hit cafe Demel later that night and unpopular popular opinion it was mid, prices were heavily inflated and it just didn’t live up to the rep it had been given, as a black coffee connoisseur I was unimpressed, the cake was good but still not worth it in my expert opinion. Other than just hanging out and bonding with my peers there were largely no more highlights of the evening except for Ted.


Thursday yet another banger breakfast then off to the Freud museum, I enjoy Dr. Wasser’s lecture and as a man found myself thinking a lot like Freud often. The walking tour of Vienna was insightful yet unorthodox, and enjoyable yet very cold. Later that evening we went to a classical music performance which I absolutely loved, quite amazing, although if it was more than a quartet I may have been even more approving. The night ended with Ted 2, on of the better sequels to exist.


Friday the natural history museum was fantastic, I wish I had stayed longer to explore, it was so extensive and growing up I always found natural history museums to be so fascinating. I was like a kid in a candy store the whole time.


Friday afternoon we left for Prague stay tuned for more on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment