Monday, February 27, 2023

Math Test, Physiology Reviews and Voyager

On Monday we had the day off as it was Rose Montag. I came to the AIB and tried to do my math homework without much success which did not bode well for my test on Thursday. Eventually I finished it with some help from Amanda. Tuesday was back to class as usual. We had a final math tutorial that morning where we reviewed past exams in preparation for the test. Wednesday was also fairly uneventful. We had our first review for the physiology test with Reagan concerning the cardiovascular system. We did some more research concerning the Enmodes project. In the afternoon we had another cultural workshop where we played a quiz game about german culture. Then we had a german lesson which will be the last one before our midterm. Thursday was the day of the test. Blanche very kindly canceled our BMEN 253 class to give us extra time to study. The test itself went very well, I think. I went through the first three problems very smoothly, the fourth one took a bit of extra thought but I'm pretty sure I got it right. The real challenge was the fifth problem. I had reviewed this sort of problem a little but not enough. I think I managed to piece the solution together from memory and other problems. I'm fairly confident that I did very well on the test. On Friday we had our second physiology review which covered the respiratory system. We also did more Enmodes research which left me feeling like my brain had turned to cotton wool. The problem is that we have ideas that intuition tells me will work but I don't have the skills to mathematically prove. We are working with electronics and thermodynamics that I haven't learned and these are not the easiest things to learn through YouTube. Errin and I are making slow progress and I'm sure we'll figure something out eventually.

In less academic news, I sorted out my plans for spring break. My bank account is significantly lighter than it was last week. I booked a week climbing in Costa Blanca, Spain. The holiday includes airport commutes, regional travel and housing for the week so its a pretty good deal. Finding flights was a bit of a challenge and it seems I somehow need to get to Dusseldorf airport at five in the morning but I'm sure I'll work that out. The area looks very nice and the weather is supposed to be ideal and warm, which after this week will be a welcome change. It also includes five days of climbing which is a lot more than I could afford with a private guide. In short I think this is going to be an excellent trip.

On Friday I started watching Star Trek Voyager. I recently rewatched the Picard series and so was feeling inspired. I skipped ahead to the end of season three which is when Seven of Nine joins the crew. I still prefer Next Generation if only because of Picard, Data and Guinen (spelling may be off). On the plus side none of the characters in Voyager irritate me in the same way that Riker and Troi do. In any case it is by far superior to the Original Series. I have no idea how that became so popular. Kirk is an absolute moron, the plots are ridiculous and the show is unbelievably sexist. The only good things about it are Spock and Dr McCoy and even they can't make it bearable. I do like the new movies but Next Generation and Picard are still my favorites. 

I'll admit that that rant was mostly to fill up space. This week was relatively uninteresting so there isn't much to write about. I spent the weekend reading my physiology textbook in preparation for Wednesday's test but did not make as much progress as I should have. I should probably get back to work now so that'll be all for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment