Monday, February 6, 2023

Week 4 (1/30-2/5)

 This week was mainly focused on our enmodes project. We had Dr. Biswas come talk to us about innovation and how to protect our work. I think something that is important is adhering to more than one overlying body. Everything I've learned in my classes so far has been about FDA rules but since we're in Europe, we have to know how things work in the EU. Outside of our enmodes work, we have also been studying for our first BMEN 211 exam. I spent most of the weekend at AiB studying so no trips this weekend. 

While Dr. Biswas was visiting, he mentioned some of his students doing math and comp sci minors. I have honestly thought about doing this before but didn't explore the idea too much because I didn't think it was that good of an idea. After he brought it up, I talked to him about it and he was very encouraging so I figured I would talk to my mom about it. She already jokes about me switching to computer science (although I do truly enjoy BMEN so that will not happen), so I really don't think she was surprised when I told her. She was very supportive of my decision, so I will probably have to take a computer science class over the summer in addition to organic chemistry. The odds of me graduating in 4 years are also now very slim but I'm not too worried about that anyways.

Tuesday was one of my host sisters (Alessa) birthday, she turned 18. My mom and her friend went to Dusseldorf at midnight to go visit her since she could not come home. She had two exams last week so she decided to come home on the weekend and have some friends over before going out. It was the first time she was able to 'legally' go to clubs since she is now 18. I sat downstairs at the table with her and her friends and they were all very nice. It's been fun to get to know people outside of the program and I feel like I've experienced a lot more culture this way. Her friends invited me to go out with them but I declined since I would need to get up and study the next day. I think they're going to cologne for Carnival so I might go with them if I am not traveling somewhere else. I really enjoy it when she comes home to visit but she's in med school so doesn't get to come home much. 

In other news, my host mom had to get a new washer Saturday because the old one started leaking (and of course I was the one that noticed so I had to go tell her). We ended up having to move the washer away from the wall to let the ground and washer dry. I felt really bad (partly because I thought I broke it) but she said it was 10 years old and was tired of dealing with it anyways. The new washer is very nice but is also very different so I had to re-learn where all the buttons are since it's in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment