Sunday, February 26, 2023

Week 7: German Old Ladies are Mean as Hell

    This week seemed to fly by. Between having Monday off and studying for exams I don't know where the time went. Erin and I both decided that we would start working on our joint study guide after each of our classes so that we could be better prepared for our next round of exams. We realized that our next exams would be right after our weekend trip to Amsterdam and just before everyone goes their separate ways for spring break. My first exams went pretty well but I still want to improve my performance and do the best I can in these classes. I really feel like I get this material and I find that I'm actually excited to go to class and listen to the lectures. Nice change of pace after the battle for my sanity over this last semester. 

    Erin and I also started going back to the gym this week. We had not been able to go between all of the traveling and exams of the last two weeks. I hadn't realized how much I missed getting to burn off extra energy and start my morning in the gym. I really does make a difference in how I feel during the day and how well I sleep. My forte is weight lifting while Erin's skills lie in creating HIIT workouts that make me feel like Jell-O. We alternate days to make sure that we do both strength and cardio training. This schedule has quickly become one of my favorite things and I look forward to the workouts.

    I discovered that German old ladies can be really damn aggressive. I was walking beside Peyton and Amanda and was turned towards them talking about plans to study. As such, I did not see the woman that was approaching from the opposite direction, though they both said that she clearly saw me. All of the sudden I felt a weight ram into my shoulder and I turned thinking I had run into one of my friends that was in front of me. Instead I found myself looking down at this short lady who proceeded to cuss me out in German and then shove me back. As she walked away I turned to look at her with an incredulous look and shouted tut mir leid in a mocking tone. I don't know what the laws are in Germany but somehow I doubt it would have ended well had I retaliated. It wound up being more funny than anything and nobody really got hurt so all's well that ends well I suppose. 

    The week ended with us spending a lot of time at a table in Starbucks trying to get some studying in. The students of the round table. Nice to have a bit of downtime before things ramp up over these next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment