Monday, February 27, 2023

Week 7: Croatia & learning how to eat soup properly

 The week started off with coming back home from Croatia. Honestly, I think Croatia has been my favorite place I've been to (I know, I said the same thing about Vienna). We saw the prettiest sunset I've seen my entire life and I just enjoy being on the beach. My parents are really into scuba diving so our vacations are to beaches. I tried some fish the first night we were there (and the tiny bite I had was probably at least 5 euros - thank Elizabeth, Colby, and Kat for taking the L on that one). That restaurant was very nice (and expensive) and we definitely held the reputation of being American while we were there- you could say we played with our food a little. The rest of the trip was very fun but also extremely exhausting. Despite how fun the trip was, I managed to lose my apple pencil somewhere along the way and ripped a hole in my leggings... so yeah I've had some better days.

After getting back into Dusseldorf (on Rosen Montag- day of the drunkies) our train ride was honestly not that bad compared to what other people experienced. There was no projectile vomiting, people crawling on the floor, or drunken fights so at least I took the W on that one (until the guy in the Bonn station threw his jacket onto the train tracks, stripped to basically just his underwear, then asked me for beer). 

The rest of the week was pretty average. I think the most exciting thing was probably Ali's Donner opening back up and getting to see everyone try the new place and compare it to Haus Des Donners. Every time I go to each place I change my mind about which one I like more so I think at some point I'll have to break down and say I like both. Unfortunately, Elizabeth had been sick most of this week so I haven't seen her in a while. I had to make an emergency trip to Cologne since her brother got here and brought her things from home and she couldn't go get them herself. It was really exciting to finally meet her brother and new wife- I've heard so much about them but hadn't actually met yet. 

My host mom's mom's birthday was Friday so a lot of family has been over visiting. It was really fun to meet so much of the family but I wish my other host sisters could have been there as well. The night I went over to dinner with them I learned that I eat soup completely *not* in the german way and it was kinda embarrassing ngl. They were all sipping soup out of their spoon and there I was trying to put the whole spoon in my mouth even though it was the *wrong* shape to efficiently put in my mouth and get soup out of. So yeah. That was an experience. I talked to my host mom's niece, who is supper kind and has her own adorable 15-month baby girl. 

Today is Monday and there is another train strike so class was on zoom. Naturally, being at home, I am terrible at getting anything done and ended up trying to clean all the crumbs out of the toaster here. It was *VERY* dirty and sometimes it smokes when I toast my bread so I get nervous its going to catch on fire. Yes, I caught my grandmother's toaster on fire for this same reason. Anyways, it should theoretically be less of a fire hazard now but I still smelled smoky a little when I toasted my bread so maybe I just won't use it anymore. because. I would rather not catch the house on fire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment