Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Week 6: Karneval & Berlin

    What can I say about this week other than I am so happy to be here in Germany so that I can experience all of these different cultures, values, and people. The week started off in a daze since I was beyond exhausted after our trip to Vienna and Prague. I honestly can't remember all of what I learned in class on Monday but c'est la vie. I made it through my first physiology lab exam, genetics exam, and physiology lecture exam without a ton of issues. Studying for them after our long trip was a struggle though, I won't lie. They all ended up going well enough and now I know what to expect on the next round and how to better prepare for them. 

    In between all of those exams, we participated in the parade for Karneval on the first day of the festivities. We had bags of candy and were able to toss them to all of the people lining the streets. It was funny to see how, as the week went on, the parties (and people) got more elaborate and wild. It was like a mix of Halloween, Mardi Gras, and a German flare that one can't quite describe. It was fascinating to see these traditions play out. You can't really understand them but everyone around you looks perfectly at home. It makes you think about how the traditions in the United States that people are not exposed to look when people see them for the first time.

    We ended up traveling to Berlin for our three day weekend. The first day it rained constantly and my shoes were not prepared for the weather. Neither were my jeans since they were boot cut and dragging along the ground mopping up all the puddles I couldn't avoid. Needless to say, I had to go on an impromptu shopping trip to get some new shoes, though you won't hear me complaining because they are cute as hell. The second day was much better with the sun out. Erin and I ended up at a flea market where we found some gems that made unique souvenirs. We also went to a German history museum with the rest of the group. Berlin was not my favorite city but it was still a fun experience and it was a place we had to see while we were here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment