Monday, February 6, 2023

week 4

 


This past week, I had the opportunity to have breakfast with another German family. Previously, I had the impression that it was only my host mom who would eat bread for breakfast; however, it turned out that eating bread with a variety of things smeared on it for breakfast was more common in Germany than I had previously thought. There is no problem at all, I am well-versed in the development of culinary practices. But breakfast this weekend gave me a kind of cultural shock that pushed me to a new level of appreciation for Mexican traditions.

During the time that I spent interacting with the other German families, there was one thing in particular that I felt compelled to bring to everyone's attention: the Germans' depictions of Mexicans and Americans are exactly as how Mexicans and Americans are described in movies. I noticed this because almost every time I would tell someone that I was Mexican, they would invariably ask me if I knew any narcos or some other drug cartel-related question. This undoubtedly led to some sort of animosity among movie makers. But I would also like to highlight that one of our purposes of this journey is not just for us to learn about German culture, but also for us to well represent and teach if we can about our cultures, to clear out any biases.


No comments:

Post a Comment