Thursday, March 5, 2020

Week 6

Week six was mostly a stressful mess involving our first BMEN 211 exam. I came back from Budapest feeling quite sick, but managed to study during my two days without class. Thee week was mostly uneventful, and I learned quickly that I need to start studying for exams earlier in the future.
The only truly eventful episode of this week was shadowing doctors and watching surgeries on Tuesday. Cody and I watched surgeons remove an artificial shoulder bone, which involved quite a bit of vacuuming metal particles. We mostly talked to the anesthesiologist, who explained exactly how the patient was monitored and which variables were most vital in keeping the patient alive. The anesthesiologist consistently pumped some sort of numbing agent throughout the surgery. Even at the end, she injected the patient with weak painkillers. Overall, the experience was wonderfully educational, and I cannot wait to shadow doctors when I return to Dallas.
During the weekend, I finally caught up on sleep and my growing pile of homework. This week was quite slow and a bit boring, but next week is Carnival, so I will have a lot to write about then.

No comments:

Post a Comment