Sunday, April 3, 2016

The Big Event

This past weekend has been full of community service, laughter, and relaxation. This weekend was Big event weekend. I participate in Big Event every year, so why not participate when I go abroad, Right? Well little did I know, that my participation this year was a "big deal". The Big Event group in Bonn, Germany was the biggest international big event. I felt very proud to be a part of this group, and making history.

My group that I was with was sent to the Altenzentrum Haus am Redoutenpark in Bad Godesburg. This was a senior's home for elderly people; somewhat like a nursing home. Our job there was a gardening project. I have never, not once, gardened in my life. So this was going to be interesting. We, along with some of the seniors staying in the home, potted flowers in little blumen caskets that would hang outside on the balconies of the seniors' rooms. It was so cute to watch the seniors pick out which flowers they wanted to go into their caskets. Not one was the same. As I was potting, I began to think to myself, how fortunate I am to be here doing this. I've always been grateful for the things that I have been given in life, but it really hit me, that most people don't get the chance to help German elderly people in Bonn, Germany. This whole experience has been awesome!

For lunch, the home provided an amazing lunch. We had steak, sausage, three types of salads, and cake and coffee. It was all so delicious. The speaker for the home then surprised us after lunch with easter Haribo gummies, and a Bonn magnet. It was an awesome day full of so much love.

I am spending my Sunday helping my host family do some spring cleaning, and just relaxing. The kids will go back to school tomorrow, the dad will go back to work after being off for five months, and the mom will go to the museum where she works. I am so grateful for everything that my host family has done for me since I arrived on January 12.

I only have 31 days left in Bonn. I am both excited to return back to Texas, but also sad for my journey to end. It has definitely changed my view on life, and increases my excitement for my future. Who knows, maybe one day I will get to come back to Bonn and visit again!

No comments:

Post a Comment