Monday, April 18, 2016

Running my first Half-Marathon, hardly training for it

The week following the Big Event, volunteering for the local donation center for Syrian refugees, we had a great week at school. We ended the week by going to Bingen and seeing Hildegard's museum and enjoying delicious gelato.

That friday night we all went to Kyle's house and had a great night hanging out with friends. Our host brother Andre was in town and so we had a great and chill night at Kyle's. The next day was a blast!! it was a beautiful and sunny and warm day in Bonn, so we got a bunch of people to go to a local park in Bonn, the Hofgarten, and we all played ultimate frisbee for 2 hours. It was so great to have a big game going and to run around again. It was something I haven't done in a long time and I had an absolute blast! What made the day even better was the festival going on downtown in Bonn, with live music and food trucks and people and good vibes hahah! All of us half-marathon runners carbed up on pasta and then went home to study.

The next day was the half-marathon!! The day we have been kinda training for, only running a max of 5 miles in training. With these expectations I had really doubted myself in not walking the halfie. All of us at the starting line, Ryan, Kyle, Jay, Shawn, Sandra and I were all cracking jokes about how we were pretty nervous and expecting pain and suffering! Regardless of the pain and suffering the run was sooo fun, something I definitely would do again, with f proper training of course! I had said I wanted an early 2 hour time, and I wanted to not walk the halfie and I really expected myself to walk at a couple points. However I never walked and I got a 2:08 time!!! I achieved my goal and I am really happy and impressed by that! It was a great run, its encouraging to have so many people to run with and encourage you and also offer Kölsch while you're running hahaha! Also I had the best freaking bananas I've ever had in my life while I was running. The water stations were giving them out and they were freaking amazing.

Afterwards we enjoyed all the free food, free alcohol-free beer(its healthy apparently), crepes, fruit, bread, sausage, and naps on couches. After the half-marathon, Shawn and I went home to prepare for our early morning trip to Paris the next day!

Currently there are about 2 weeks left in the semester and its beginning to make me kind bummed... It feels like we've been here for so long and not long at all at the same time. Sometimes I wonder if I've taken it all in properly still, as I have talked about before. And also I am still very exhausted. Exhausted yet pursing. Next blog Ill talk about our Paris and Barcelona trips, some of my favorite destinations so far!!

No comments:

Post a Comment