Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Take that, sports

[The next few posts are being copy-pasted from a Word Doc I wrote up during the Paris trip. I'm not going to be putting [Recap] in front of any of these posts because that's kind of embarrassing. So instead I'm going to pretend nothing went wrong and hope no one notices.]

The Hardin Boys’ Sports Curse is in full swing. We got to go to a real bona-fide soccer match this week. And, since I was there and actively rooting for a team, naturally that team lost. Sorry, Leverkusen. It probably wasn’t your fault you lost 5-1. Probably. I’m not really a soccer guy, so I wouldn’t really know for sure. But if y’all want to pin this one on me, I wouldn’t hold it against you.

Schoolwork is grinding and slow, as usual. But, something else interesting did happen. I got to travel with my family to Schloss Drachenberg (Dragon-Mountain Castle). Supposedly the site where the old German hero Sigurd/Siegfried/Sivard slew the great dragon Fafnir with his sword Gram/Balmung/Nothung. Apparently the Norse don’t really mind what the guy’s name was. Probably more concerned with the whole killed-a-dragon thing, which I can understand. The view was amazing, and the old ruins were fun to look around in, even if it was mostly just one lonely old tower. There was another, newer castle about halfway down the hill (it wasn’t really a mountain), built in the 1800’s. Unfortunately, that was closed, but we still had fun walking about and taking in the sights.

And that was pretty much that. Very pleasant, very fun, very quiet.


Gardener – Robert J! Laker, arr. Steve Everson

No comments:

Post a Comment