Saturday, April 9, 2016

Easter Birthday and Fire

Starting from where I concluded, going against the judgement of everyone on the trip I packed my stuff up so that I could take my earlier flight home. The morning of leaving was a slower one for the group as many people slept in and some just wanted to relax and do homework. The flight back was very quick, thanks to being able to sleep most of the way, and I arrived to the airport receiving texts from my host family saying that they drove to the airport to get me just so that I wouldn't have to worry about the bus to train ride to bus to home journey. I did not know they were going to do this and it was super cool. My host family was so happy to see me on Easter and just that was worth coming home early. Arriving home, I walk through the door to find the rest of my host family all around a beautiful meal on the table, waiting for me to get home so we could enjoy it. I really felt apart of the family, walking in to an amazing lunch where they were all waiting just for me to eat and so happy to see me. We sang happy birthday to my host sister and devoured the roast and cakes that were made. Once lunch was over, I help my host brother and host mom's boyfriend to start constructing the wood pile to burn on the Rhine banks. It turned out to be a pretty large fire and I was astounded to hear that you only needed to get permission from one guy to be able to have this large fire. As night grew closer more people started coming and friends that I had met through my host family. It was like being back home, surrounded by close friends, enjoying a fire, good music, and then the added benefit of the beautiful Rhine at night. We stayed out till close to midnight, talking and enjoying everyone's company and being grateful for everything that we are blessed with. This day really made me stop to settle down and embrace everything that was going on, this trip, and all the everyday things you normally take for granted. Every day that we wake up is a blessing, and one that is so simple but is always looked over. I am able to wake up, healthy, alive, and given opportunities that other people can only dream of. Its so easy to spend time always looking forward to the next thing, the "better" thing, what we don't have, and not appreciate the moments we are given.

No comments:

Post a Comment